Sunday, December 5, 2010

Quote of the Day: JG Ballard

"The marriage of reason and nightmare which has dominated the 20th century has given birth to an ever more ambiguous world. Across the communications landscape move the specters of sinister technologies and the dreams that money can buy."


Yeah, I am not very good at this blogging thing. There's a lot going on with my new job and my personal life which has consisted mostly of learning how to file a homeowner's claim after living in my house for only five months.

Anyway, a lot has happened in the past two months. I know I promised a long time ago to tell you about the horrible customer service experience of our anniversary weekend so here goes.

We stayed at the Roosevelt in Seattle where the toilet broke, the front desk attendant told me I was welcome to go to another hotel if I wanted the upgrade my package came with and that he already gave my wife our dining certificate when he hadn't. Yeah, he was a joy. I honestly hadn't done anything, I was just being my usual charming self. It all worked out because we complained about him and got a pretty decent discount.

They restaurant we went to that night ignored us for over forty-five minutes. (Stuff like this happens to us a lot actually. I think maybe we look like the small town rubes we really are underneath it all or we look cheap because we don't order wine.) Anyway, we finally got served. I did have to take my shirt off to get their attention but I was cool with that because I'd been working out.

Then went to the worst crepe place in the world. The crepes were made by a real French woman who was rude enough to remind me of Paris. Unfortunately, she cooked like a truck stop waitress. Trust me, the condescension is a lot less charming when it's not backed up by exquisite food.

Overall, we did have a good time because there is nothing more pleasurable than complaining about something you ultimately enjoyed. We also now have a portrait of ourselves hanging in our living room or at least it will be once we get it framed.

No comments:

Post a Comment