Saturday, October 30, 2010

Quote of the Day (Week?): Jean Kerr

“One of the most difficult things to contend with in a hospital is the assumption on the part of the staff that because you have lost your gall bladder you have also lost your mind.”


Especially when they think you said you took a Percocet before you came in to the ER instead of a Prilosec. I got lots of questions about that. Somebody from Pharmacy Reconciliation came in before I went home and asked me lots of suspicious questions. I'm pretty sure they thought I was a doper when in reality I can't stand Opiates - they make my head hurt when they're not making me paranoid. I have never had a Percocet in my life.

Oh by the way, my wife made me go back to the hospital this week because I turned yellow and was in immense pain and then they made me stay there for two days because I had developed a gallstone even though I don't have a gallbladder anymore. Apparently, I have "incredibly small" bile ducts. Yeah, it was a little emasculating.

I never go the hospital and this trip made me remember why. It's like living in a dysfunctional fascist state. Nothing there makes any sense and they won't tell you anything about your fate. Why must I be woken me up at 2:00 AM to have my vitals checked? I was going insane by the time they let me out. I had lots of things I had to get done at my new job and I couldn't do them from my hospital bed.

Afterwards, I realized why I found it so unbearable. I didn't have a single painkiller while I was there. I think living in a drug induced haze is the only way people make it there longer than forty-eight hours.

As bad as it was it wasn't my worst customer service experience of the year. That came on my anniversary weekend but you will have to wait for my next post to hear about that.


PS
Sorry my blogging has been so non-existent lately. My life is insane right now with the new job and everything. I haven't even had time to be as diligent with my fiction writing as I normally am.


PPS
Before I go, I have to brag about one awesome thing I did. I bought a booklight to help me read non-Kindle books during my daily 4:00 AM morning walk. All I do is clip it on and I am good to go. It worked like a charm this week. I'm pretty sure all the strange looks people gave me were just because they were jealous that they didn't think of it first.

1 comment:

  1. More like quote of the month. Seriously missing this daily dose of blog.

    ReplyDelete