Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Quote of the Day: George Santayana

"Almost every wise saying has an opposite one, no less wise, to balance it."


Sometimes, I like to complain about being the one who always answers the general sales line when it rings but not today because I get to have conversations like this:

"Hello. I was just talking with you and got cut off."
"I am sorry. That might have been someone else."
"Anyway, I represent a real estate developer from Texas."
"Okay?"
"We need your help. He was quite successful until he expanded to a certain European country."
"How can my company help?"
"There's a big scandal going on right now that they cooked up against him. My client needs your help hitting back hard."
"Excuse me?"
"We are going to expose the leader of this country for what he really is: a pedophile."
"I don't see how we can help. We are a communications company. Is this a PR thing?"
"Not exactly. Look, if you are having an ethical problem you should know you could really make your name on this. I can answer any questions you have right now."
"We make software."
"Oh. Wrong number."



Five minutes later:

"Can I have ____ your CEO?" (These calls are quite common because somewhere in some directory our number got switched with the main line. They are still pretty annoying.)
"Can I ask the why?"
"This is ____ ____ the CEO of ______."
"Excuse me?"
"We're your biggest competitor."
"I know who are. I am in sales."
"I bet you do."
"Unfortunately. Here's is his admin."
(I looked up his number. It really was the guy. Maybe something big is going down.)

No comments:

Post a Comment