Monday, August 9, 2010

Quote of the Day: Nathaniel Hawthorne

"Our Creator would never have made such lovely days, and have given us the deep hearts to enjoy them, above and beyond all thought, unless we were meant to be immortal."


This has got to be one of the ugliest summers in Seattle I have ever experienced. The weekend was just miserable. About the only interesting thing was when some guy mistook us for his drug dealers, or at least that was our suspicion anyway. Based in his behavior, he either thought we or the three-year-old with us was.

I was putting gas in my car Saturday afternoon on the squalid little avenue called Greenwood, when I noticed I was being watched by a thuggish looking guy with dreadlocks. He also looked like he smelled pretty bad. There were some kids running some kind of charity car wash next door so I at first I was worried about their safety but eventually I became more concerned for my own when he kept making motions like he was going to walk over to the car without actually picking his feet up off the asphalt. He kept his hand clenched around something in his pocket like it was the Holy Grail. Anyway, he kept looking at me with madness or longing in his eyes until we drove away.

And that's it. That's my story. I know it's pretty lame but such an anti-climatic story fits in quite nicely with my August so far. (Maybe I will blog about some of it later when the statute of limitations expires.)

1 comment:

  1. At first I thought you were using a quote from Twilight and I was about to stop reading this blog altogether. I'm glad to know that someone else questions the motives of most suspicious characters.

    ReplyDelete