Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Quote of the Day: Walker Percy

"The search is what anyone would undertake if he were not sunk in the everydayness of his own life. To become aware of the possibility of the search is to be onto something. Not to be onto something is to be in despair."


This Saturday, I went to the annual Sasquatch Musis Festival for my very first time. (I tried to go in years past but life kept conspiring to keep me away.) I hadn't been to the Gorge at George in a long time and I learned two shocking facts there. People smoke a lot of pot of concerts and I am almost too old to stand around in the hot sun for thirteen hours no matter how much I like the band. (I'ms kidding. I already knew that, now I just have objective proof thanks to my hamper that now smells like a big joint and the shooting pain in my lower body.) My little brother, on the other hand, seemed to suffer no ill effects from spending all day on the floor in front of the main staged pressed together with a billion other people

I really enjoyed all the shows I saw. I find it really interesting that so many of the performers wore suitcoats with tight jeans. Back in my day they wore T-shirts, flannels, and baggy jeans. Being cool was all about trying not to look cool.

I would have to say The National gave the best performance. They are as commanding a presence on stage as they are in my headphones. My Morning Jacket was a close second even if it felt like it dragged on a little since I was so tired at the end of the day. (I think the best test of a concert is if the performance is so good that it makes you want to go home and sit around listening to that band's whole catalogue in chronological order and both bands easily passed that test.) I am a little sad I missed most of The Hold Steady's set since they were on the same time as The National. I think I made the right choice by skipping Broken Social Scene to see the Posies because no matter how good the little bit of Broken Social Scene I heard sounded, my heart will always belong to early Nineties Seattle Rock.

So, all in all it was a good time. One of my favorite parts was when some random girl standing behind me pointed to the leader singer of a band on stage and yelled, "That's the guy I had sex." Her male companion look less than thrilled with the revelation. I think he was just mostly ashamed that they weren't even a very good band.

1 comment:

  1. Awesome. Glad you had fun. So jealous you got to see The National!

    ReplyDelete