Monday, February 8, 2010

Quote of the Day: Alden Nowlan

“The day the child realizes that all adults are imperfect, he becomes an adolescent; the day he forgives them, he becomes an adult; the day he forgives himself, he becomes wise.”


This week in Sunday School, I learned to be grateful for something. My 14 and 15 year-old students made me grateful for the fact that I am not, have never been, and will never be a teenage girl. When I was a teenager I thought teenage girls were scary but now that I am older I know they for a fact they are.


One girl in particular was a real joy. First, she tried to get her brother in trouble for something stupid because, "I hate him." (That part actually fit in with the lesson since we were learning about Cain and Abel.) Then she made another girl leave the room in tears by whispering something to her. The best part is that later she denied that anything like that happened when one of her Young Women's (similar to Youth Group) leaders asked her about it.


True, I haven't raised either one but my suspicion is that girls are harder to raise than boys so I am kind of hoping for all boys at this point. For instance, I am quite proud of myself for convincing a 3- year-old this weekend to let his pet butterflies go free without crying about it.


PS
This post should not be construed to mean that will be raising either one in the immediate future.

2 comments:

  1. Um...ask mom which gender is easier?!

    Im assuming Matho was the one with the butterflies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thinking of my experience -
    I have come to the conclusion that you are very wise -(and you haven't even raised children of your own yet.)

    ReplyDelete