Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Quote of the Day: F. Scott Fitzgerald

"I'm a romantic; a sentimental person thinks things will last, a romantic person hopes against hope that they won't."


This is actually a pretty optimistic quote when you think about it. The best is always yet to come.

Yesterday on my way home from work, right before I entered the bus tunnel, I received an email from the director of another department - marketing- whom my team works with occasionally asking me to come by his office for five minutes. I sent him an email back on my way down the escalator telling him I was on my way home but was willing to come back to the office if he needed me to so I needed to know if it was worth the trek back.

I lost my cell phone reception as I got further down into the tunnel so I didn't get his reply until I was on my way home on the express bus with the next stop fifteen minutes away because I figured nobody would be cruel enough to make me come back to the office after a long day that began at 6AM. His reply said, "TOTALLY!!!" So I called Stacey and suggested she meet me at the bus stop so we could drive down together and make a night of it.

So, an hour later I found myself back at the office. Guess what we talked about? His budget getting cut for some event and how he wondered if I could fly down to California on the 24th and salvage it. That's right, three weeks from now. Man, talk about a letdown. The whole way there I was having visions of corporate power-plays, spying, and backstabbing. Real life can be so boring sometimes. I'd do anything to get back the hour and a half the whole thing took out of my life.

The moral of the story: Never trust excessive use of capitalization and exclamation marks.

1 comment:

  1. Sorry for the disappointment! I would LOVE to be asked to do a "spying" thing! I've always thought I'd make a good Private I! If you ever get asked to "spy"...you've got a buddy!

    Now, seriously....you need to visit Hollywood while in Cali and insist they do a sitcom from your life! I mean it! Or...you write it and submit it. If you'd keep a daily journal, you'd have a hit TV show based off it!.....

    (Remember I told you this when you become rich and famous so you can take care of your old aunt!)

    Love ya to pieces!
    Mimi

    ReplyDelete