Monday, March 22, 2010

Quote of the Day: Oscar Wilde

"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go."


I did something today I am not proud of. I got up from my desk to get a drink and then promptly turned around when I saw who was already standing there by the fridge. I usually don't run from trouble because I don't mind awkward confrontations - they usually make for good stories. I guess I find dealing with this guy so unpleasant that I will forgo a story chance. I was a little surprised at my strong feelings of antipathy.

I guess I hate people who consistently try to give me high-five's and ask me if I am "pumped." I hate it when people try to motivate me with slogans or the type of yelling high-school football coaches engage in. I have always been a very internally-motivated person so if I am already motivated about something all that rah-rahing is just going to annoy me and if I am not already motivated it's just going to make me dig my heels in and fight back with cynicism. I don't think anybody will be very successful at anything for very long if they require pom-poms and pep-rallies to perform their basic duties.

For the record, my motivation is not living on the street in a cardboard box.

1 comment:

  1. But you didn't even need to talk to him in order to get a story out of it.

    I'd call that a win.

    ReplyDelete