Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Quote of the Day: Lewis Mumford

"Humor is our way of defending ourselves from life's absurdities by thinking absurdly about them."


Yesterday as I was pulling out of my driveway, I saw a shadowy figure run into the backyard so naturally - since I am the man of the house - I had to investigate. Before I even made it to the gate a man in a red and black coat jumped out in front of me and squared his body at me like a gunfighter about to face off with a rival. He said, "Can I help you?"

"How about can I help you?"

"I'm okay." He had a very bad stutter.

"What are you doing here? This is my house."

"Seattle City Light," he said very slowly as if I was a crazed animal that needed to be soothed. He held up plastic badge attached to a lanyard. "You don't think it's real?"

"All right. I just had to check." By the way, it looked very cheap and fake. "Sorry," I said as I got in my car.

He then came up from behind me as I was shutting the door and said, "No worries. Happens all the time."

He then proceeded to stand there until I got creeped out enough to shut the door and drive off. My last image of him was of him shining a flashlight under my garage door for no apparent reason.

Nothing was stolen so all's well that ends well. Still, kind of weird.

2 comments:

  1. You left?! I think I would have gone inside a made a phone call and wait for the strange thing to leave. Why is it you have all of the fun stories and my life just is so not full of fun stories?! Oh, by the way...why am I not on your friends and family list? I'll re-invite you and you can decide from there. Ball is in your court.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Once again Collin,
    You have the craziest encounters.
    It has to be where you live......:)

    ReplyDelete