Monday, September 27, 2010

Quote of the Day: The President at My First Real Job

"Collin is a very smart, talented, and capable employee but he can be also be very challenging to manage."

I came across this sentence when I saw an email I was not supposed to in the middle of a reorganization. Basically what happened is I got bored with the job and I knew I was smarter than the execs. I thought about this statement because the same thing happened with this job only this time I didn't tell my VP and CEO they "didn't know how to run a company" and were "more concerned with concerned with covering their a** than anything else." (Amazingly, when I quit they tried to talk me out of it.) I only told my new director that.

It's funny. When I graduated college with my creative writing degree I had no career ambitions beyond writing the Great American Novel. As long as I had enough money to buy books I was happy. Fast forward seven years later and I have an unpublished but completed novel saved to my hard drive and very ambitious career goals. Personally, I blame women.

Consider this an introduction to a series of posts on careers in post-industrial America.

2 comments: