Thursday, September 30, 2010

Quote of the Day; Edith Wharton

"If only we'd stop trying to be happy we'd have a pretty good time."


This last week of work has convinced me that the "two week notice" concept is hopelessly outdated in the modern corporate world. If I was king of the world I would just walk employees out the door the day they put in their notice. (I certainly wouldn't have stuck around for two weeks if didn't need the insurance for my surgery. My co-workers certainly didn't get two weeks notice when they were laid off.) It just creates a morale problem, especially in sales.

Case in point: me.

Three of us were talking about a process issue when someone said, "Well, so-and-so just needs to understand that because of where we are as a company no one can get everything they want."

"I am. I'm leaving."


I am very excited about the new job I am starting in a few weeks. Almost as excited as I am about the week I will have in between to do nothing but read books and watch movies as I recover from surgery. Counting my new one, I will have had four jobs since college with each one being a little better than the last. I really have no regrets about deciding to make my living on the phone ten years ago, especially after talking to people with professional degrees and piles of debt. I am just lucky I found a career that lines up perfectly with my particular brand of OCD.

No comments:

Post a Comment