Thursday, May 28, 2009

Quote of the Day: Cyrill Connolly

"A lazy person, whatever the talents with which he set out, will have condemned himself to second-hand thoughts and to second-rate friends." I hope we've all matured past the point where we expect the quote of the day to have any significance other than the fact that it sounds cool. Although, I guess the fact that it sounds cool to my ears says something about me, no?



One time at my last job, I walked into the bathroom and found the janitor crying over the garbage can. He wasn't wailing or beating his breasts or anything; he was just letting a few manly, dignified tears run down his cheek. I have no idea why. All I can figure out was that it had something to do with all the paper towels on the floor. It kind of reminded of that commercial from when I was a kid about the Native American crying because of all the litter he sees. (You know, the one who turned out to be an Italian-American?) http://www.snopes.com/movies/actors/ironeyes.asp


The reason there were so many paper towels on the floor is because they'd placed the garbage can so far away from the door that people had no choice but to throw them there after they used them to open the door. (I guess some germaphobes actually do that. I swear it wasn't me because I always carried the paper towel I used to open the door with me back to the garbage can under my desk like a good little boy.) Eventually, they learned and moved the garbage can right behind the door.


So anyway, that may or may not have been why he was crying. I never found out because part of the dude code is not asking other dudes you don't know why they're crying.

So guess who I saw yesterday waiting at the crosswalk next to me? The sensitive janitor. Of course, we didn't say anything to each other and we certainly didn't hug.

No comments:

Post a Comment