Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Quote of the Day: Anonymous

Boy, anonymous sure said some memorable things in his lifetime. I've always liked this quote in particular: "Many of the great achievements of the world were accomplished by tired and discouraged men who kept on working." I keep returning to this one because it's one of the few "motivational" quotes that manages to be inspiring without being pollyannaish. I also think it's an appropriate quote for a long, dark March. If anyone sees the sun, please tell him I miss him and that I promise to change my ways if he ever decides to come back.


I got a weird phone call yesterday. I was minding my own business when my work phone rang. It's been a long month so I was really hoping it was a customer calling to say, "I have two million dollars in pocket to spend on an outbound IVR solution. What do you got?" No such luck though. Instead, I heard a very bubbly female voice saying, "Collin? How are you? I've been dying to talk to you." I think it's quite possible that she was on some kind of upper.

"Good. Who's this?" I asked.
"I'm just calling you to let you know that one of your friends busted you." I was racking my brain at this point trying figure out what I had done to deserve this. (I should mention I was in a pretty bad mood yesterday.)
"For what?"
"Do you know what a charity jail is?"
"No." All I could really think of was that it sounded like something out of a Dickens novel.

So since I have weak sales resistance, I agreed to be held in custody for one hour at the Fox Sports Bar and Grill on April 17th to give my friends and co-workers a chance to donate "bail" money. All the proceeds will go to benefit some muscular dystrophy foundation. I will be setting up a website soon.

I'm really not too sure how I feel about the whole thing. I'd feel too bad about myself if I backed out now, but I fear that it may end up drawing more attention to myself then I normally prefer. I'm really not much of a performer. I'm more like the guy who sits in the back and heckles the performer. I think no matter what, I will be skipping the part where the fire-fighters come to my work and arrest me.


Another weird thing happened to me yesterday. I was sitting next to a woman at a public place when she started breast-feeding her baby right in front of me. She didn't even use a blanket or anything. What the hell? That was one of the most awkward 15 minutes I've ever had, and I have had some pretty awkward ones in my day. I pretty much just stared straight ahead and pretended to be too engrossed in my own thoughts to notice. I realize it's a natural part of life and that breasts don't exist just so men can ogle them, but shouldn't there be some kind of etiquette involving these things?


Check out this article. It's quite interesting. Apparently, obsessive people have better memories. I'm trying not to think too hard about what that says about me. http://www.wired.com/medtech/health/magazine/17-04/ff_perfectmemory?currentPage=all

1 comment:

  1. I think people should breastfeed wherever they want but need to consider others' feelings and cover-up, thats what I do anyway.

    ReplyDelete