Saturday, March 7, 2009

Weird Advertisments

I got my tax return yesterday and inside the envelope, along with my check, was a direct mail piece telling me all about the special deal the Treasury was having this month on it's state quarter sets. I'm not really good at math so I don't know if $14.95 for all 5o states is a good deal or not. I've never gotten any kind of advertisement with my tax return before and it made me feel a little of dirty. The federal government much be in much worse financial shape then we've been told. At least it's not as bad as California where instead of money for your refund all you get is an IOU. Maybe they can offer commemorative Tim Geitner plates next year.

I also learned this week that Visa is suicide. A few nights ago while I was watching "The Office" and "30 Rock," I saw the same advertisement three times and I laughed harder and harder each time I saw it. So it was a one of those meaningless commercials being narrated by Morgan Freeman containing some amorphous theme like "Seize the Day." Apparently, the point of the commercial is that credit cards give you freedom. Although that idea is funny in and of itself; the funniest part was that, of all the songs in the world, they chose to use "Today" by the Smashing Pumpkins" as background music. It may seem like an appropriate choice on the surface because it's an upbeat song that says things like, "Today is the greatest day." Or it would be if the song wasn't about suicide. The narrator is having a great day because he's finally made the choice to end his life so all his anxiety is gone. (Remember this is 90's alternative rock, so the darkest lyrical interpretation is usually the correct one. Also, Billy Corgan has admitted as much.) Think about it. You'd have cause for concern if somebody in real life ever told you, "I wanted more than life could ever grant. Bored by the chore of saving face." Not a real happy song. So now Visa is forever linked with suicide in my mind. Then again, considering the state of the economy and this country's debt to income ratio maybe it is the perfect credit card theme song.

1 comment:

  1. That is basically how I feel about credit cards, plain suicide. I don't like them, I won't use them. I would be all depressed if I had hundreds of dollars (or thousands in some cases) in bills and no money to pay them off with. Doesn't anybody know how to save for what you want!

    ReplyDelete