Friday, March 27, 2009

Quote of the Day: Cyrill Connolly

"Whom the gods wish to destroy they first call promising." If you have never checked out the critic and poet Cyrill Connolly before you really should, because he said a lot of great things. I especially like this one. Just think of all the once promising athletes, artist, writers, musicians, filmmakers, and politicians who never came close to living up to their early potential. (Yes, JD Salinger, Brian Bosworth, and M. Night Shyamalan, I'm looking at you.) That's why true success is best reached on the dull, plodding road called persistence.


I finally listened to a CD last night that I got a week ago that I'd been too busy to give a proper listen to. I didn't get the best listening experience last night though because I was riding in a car with my roommate and I didn't want to blow his eardrums out so I kept the volume at 12 instead of my usual 25. Anyway, the first album by The Pains of Being Pure at Heart was still as good as all the hype said it was. I still have several songs stuck in my head. Yes, it's a very precious band name by a very precious band. All the members of the band are cute little indie kids who look like they are going to start crying if you even so much as make eye contact with them. They're from New York but their big, jangly, fuzzy, reverb-laden, hooky, rock-pop sound may as well be from Scotland because it sounds so much like the Scottish bands Teenage Fan Club and the Jesus and Mary Chain. You should definitely give them a listen if your listening tastes skew at all to the indie side of things.


Stay tuned for later when I discuss how my problem with the guy at the cafe downstairs has reached epic, Seinfieldian proportions.

1 comment: