Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Quote of the Day: Charles Dickens

"Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen six, result happiness. Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pound ought and six, result misery."

Charles Dickens was certainly a man who knew what he was talking about because his dad was thrown into debtor's prison many times while he was growing up. You can read a fictionalized version of it in my favorite Dicken's novel "Little Dorritt." I think it's also his most modern and best one too. They say he was severely depressed when he wrote it so maybe that had something to do with it.


I've realized lately that weddings and funerals have a lot in common and not just because they are life-changing events, but also because they are ridiculously expensive and you have no choice but to pay. These little niche industries know they have us over a barrel and take full
advantage of the fact.

So anyway, I've made a new resolution regarding money since I have lots of expenses right now. A co-worker of mine told me he read a book once that said if you want to avoid money troubles you would wait a full month before you spend a hundred dollars on anything. So pick out what you want, let it sit, and then buy it if you still want it after thirty days. I have decided to modify this a bit to fit into my life. Whenever find myself wanting to buy a piece of entertainment, I will let it sit for a week before buying the book, seeing the movie, or downloading the album.

It's worked quite well. For instance, the Essential Leonard Cohen album just made the cut as did the novel The Corrections by Jonathan Franzen and I am thoroughly enjoying both. Despite the cool name, I don't think the band "We Were Promised Jetpacks" is going to make it.

2 comments:

  1. Here's a related real life story for you. You know when you get married in the Temple that the officiator often adds in a few words of advice. These words are usually of the sweet and somewhat romantic variety. He might say' "always hold hands when you are walking side by side or never raise your voice to your sweetheart", you get the drift. When Dave and I got married the sentimental words of advice were, "Pay ten percent to the Lord, ten percent to your savings account, don't go into debt and you'll be fine." It has worked for 32 years now so I pass on the same to you.
    ~Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a good resolution to me. if I waited 30 days every time I wanted something I would save a lot more money. I'm going to try it.

    It was great to see you and meet Stacey. You two seem so happy together! We're so excited for you both.

    ReplyDelete