Monday, August 31, 2009

Quote of the Day: Nathantiel Hawthorne

“Happiness is like a butterfly which, when pursued, is always beyond our grasp, but, if you will sit down quietly, may alight upon you.” Personally, I don't much like bugs crawling on me but I guess a butterfly on your shoulder is better than a spider in your hair like I had yesterday. (Don't ask, it's a long story.)


Well, the bus did it again today. It dropped me off in a strange part of city for no discernible reason. Luckily, I made it back to my office using my trusty iPhone before any Lord of the Flies type situations developed. Why can't they just tell us why and give us a little warning?

During my "Stranger in a Strange Land" period this morning, I came to an important conclusion about mass transit. This country will never accept it with the same enthusiasm our European cousins have no matter how many times we are told it's good for us because it makes us feel like peasants. It makes us feel like we are not the captains of our own destiny and Americans hate that type of thing. We'd rather be stuck in traffic in our own car because we paid for it with our own hard-earned money rather than zipping by in the bus lane. We are all important people who can't live with the uncertainty of being inconvenienced an extra two minutes on our daily commute. It's really a quality of life thing.

2 comments:

  1. Personally, I have no intention of driving to work because I consider time spent in the car to be time wasted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would agree, Mark, if the bus didn't actually take me longer.

    ReplyDelete