Thursday, August 13, 2009

Quote of the Day: Herman Melville

". . . from hell's heart I stab at thee; for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee." -Captain Ahab in Moby Dick.



Like Captain Ahab, I too have an obsession I will seek after even if it destroys me in the process. Instead of a large man-killing sperm whale, mine is the 3:02 PM leg of the Route 41 bus. I see it every day as I enter the bus tunnel after work but I am never quite fast enough to catch it so i always have to wait a whole ten minutes for another one to come by which may not seem like a long time until you remember that these are US minutes we are talking about.

The other day I nearly caught it. I was banging on the doors and everything but it still wouldn't stop. So close yet so far away. Next time I am going to jump on top of it and stick a harpoon in its heart.

Someday... (You can't see this from your computer so you'll have to trust me when I tell you I am am shaking my fist towards the heavens at this very moment as ominous music swells in the background.)

No comments:

Post a Comment