Thursday, April 1, 2010

Quote of the Day: Joseph Campbell

"When we quit thinking primarily about ourselves and our own self-preservation, we undergo a truly heroic transformation of consciousness."


My readers may remember me talking about the women who owns the little bodega on the first floor of my office that I buy Diet Mountain Dews and bananas from everyday. You know, the one whose named I learned last month after patronizing her for over a year. We talk sometimes because I'm her only customer at 5:30 in the morning.

We talk about things like how she learned my co-worker was looking for work, why some senior executives at my company are "evil" (her word), why I need to eat more Cadbury eggs and buy various things her store sells for my wife (I think she may have selfish motives for this one.), and today we discussed whether or not somebody who worked on the Metro Access floor - the "ghetto part" (her words again) of the building- meant her physical harm.

Apparently, she let some woman run up quite a tab at her store before skipping town for Hawaii. Yesterday, she asked me to read the latest thing she texted back in reply to an inquiry about her past due account to determine whether or not it was a threat and if she should keep it for evidence. It said, "I can't wait to see you face to face. Keep asking about the money and you're going to see a whole nother side to me." I told her yes but she didn't need to start carrying a weapon to work just yet even if she was "scared of the ghetto people even though I swear I am not racist."

Maybe this will teach her to stop giving out credit so freely because some IT guy at my company did the whole skipping town thing on her a few months ago.

1 comment: