Friday, July 2, 2010

Quote of the Day: Calvin Coolidge

“Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful people with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan "press on" has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.”


I figured I should end the week with a positive quote because I learned that "A Maxim a Day Keeps Bad Feelings Away," at least if you're a man. http://www.miller-mccune.com/culture/a-maxim-a-day-keeps-bad-feelings-away-18232/


I just got back from a team lunch where we were waited on by the worst waiter in the world. I am not sure what we did but he hated us so much he did nothing but argue the whole time.

There were five of us so we took two tables but apparently we took the wrong seats. The first words out of his mouth were, "In my experience I have found that people prefer to sit on this end." He pointed to the empty seat on the far end and shook his head when we didn't move. "I'm just trying to be helpful."

Then he argued with us about what kind of oysters to get. "Sir, you don't want a baker's dozen. Those are all different kinds. You should all eat the same kind so you can compare notes afterwards."
"I'll be eating not talking," said my boss.
"Sir you are not listening to me. What if the lady doesn't like big salty oysters?"
"Fine, just bring me whatever you want."

My co-worker ordered a burger well-done which also displeased him. "Can I talk you out of the well done? How about medium well?"
"No, I want well done."
"Well, I hope you don't have a time constraint."

The rest of the meal followed a similar course when he took forever to bring our food out, threw it onto the plates with no sense of presentation, smashed my crab salad, and then huffed about the amount of black pepper I put on it.

Somebody obviously needs to read his maxims. (The pithy little sayings, not the magazine.)

1 comment:

  1. hands down my favorite part of this whole post...What if the lady doesn't like big salty oysters?... Did he mean for that to sound like the dirtiest thing ever? I love poor wait service stories, I've got tons of them since living here, some of the worst customer service I've ever experienced.

    ReplyDelete