Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Quote of the Day: Logan Pearsall Smith

"People say that life is the thing, but I prefer reading."


Most of you probably know about my bad habit of reading while I walk. I do it quite a bit because the number of books I want to read for outnumber the breaths I will have on this planet before I will be forced to leave it so I really have no choice from a time efficiency standpoint.

Until this morning, my bad habit had left me surprisingly unscathed. Sure, I've ran into the occasional fire hydrant and/or person but I was stronger than most of them so the damage to my person was fairly limited.

That all changed this morning as I walked to the bus stop when I decided to read the last section of David Mitchell's Cloud Atlas because I was pretty into it. The problem is that my neighborhood is pretty dark at 4:30 in the morning. It's not so much a reading problem most of the time because I either read books on my iPhone or use a flashlight app to illuminate the pages of one of those old-fashioned things. It does create a bit of a walking problem because there are so many obstructions and overhanging vegetation that one is practically forced to walk in the road and jump back up on the sidewalk when a car comes your way. This solution works pretty well because there are not a lot of cars out that early. The solution fails; however, when you run into the curb because you don't see it and tumble to the ground like a sack of potatoes.

Don't worry, my iPhone is okay because I had the foresight to cushion its fall with my body. Sure, my arm may hurt, I may have gravel in my hand, and my pants may be ripped, but at least I don't have to wait another 2-4 weeks for a new phone because that would have really blown my budget.

1 comment:

  1. I'm probably a horrible person, but stories about people falling down always make me laugh. Yes I think we can safely remove probably from the sentence, I'm a horrible person. Thanks for making my morning.

    ReplyDelete