Thursday, July 1, 2010

Quote of the Day: Kingsley Amis

"Outside every fat man there was an even fatter man trying to close in.”


This will be a bit of a grab-bag since I haven't written in a while.


As some readers of this blog may know, I have lost roughly 185 pounds in the past year and a half. I once topped out at 408 pounds and for the last couple months I have been hovering anywhere from 220-205. I am fairly tall so I wear it well but I am getting close to committing to taking those last 20 pounds off in the next six months as a matter of principle. The only thing stopping me is that I know it will require me to take my pain and sacrifice game to the next level.


The only drawback to losing so much weight is that I can no longer eat a triple cheeseburger without immense pain later even if it is from Zippy's. Next time I will not give into peer
pressure.


One of the great disappointments in life is that "secret sauce" is always nothing more than Thousand Island dressing. I think the day I realized that was always going to be the case was the day I became an adult.


A few nights ago, some guy showed up at my door trying to sell me an alarm system. He gave me a huge song and dance about waiving all types of fees. I asked him to leave some literature. He said he couldn't because I had to decide right then. He said, "We either do it now or part ways as friends."
I said, "Let's just part ways." Seriously, what a horrible sales pitch. As if I would make a decision like that in five minutes without consulting my wife.


Speaking of wives, last weekend Stacey and I went for a walk before heading to Fred Meyer to buy yet more stuff more the house. As we were leaving the store a woman stopped us and said, "I just want to say..." I was pretty sure she was going to lecture me about who-knows-what so I was pleasantly surprised when she said, "You guys are a really cute couple. I saw you walking by my house earlier and it was so nice." Sorry to leave on a sappy not but that's how I roll today.








2 comments: