Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Quote of the Day: Flannery O'Connor

“There's many a bestseller that could have been prevented by a good teacher.” I see the sequel to The DaVinci Code is out today.

Have you ever noticed that putting the word "please" in an email request gives the whole thing a very passive-aggressive flavor? I don't think I will use it any more. Manners are so twentieth century.




Speaking of email, here's a fun exchange I had last week.

So I sent this guy an email last week because marketing said he was a decision maker. Bearing in mind this guy has never responded to me before, I introduced myself and told him I hoped I wasn't bothering him but that I thought discussing how our automated customer communication solution might be able to help reduce cost and drive better customer results would still be a worthwhile way to spend a half an hour.

Here's is what I got back:
"Actually, I am VERY BOTHERED by all your emails. I have NOTING TO DO WITH IT. Remove me from your list and I will be a much happier individual. Thank you."

Here's my response:
"I will take you off the list then. I am honored that I have so much control over your happiness and don’t want to abuse that trust."


I do love my job sometimes.

No comments:

Post a Comment