Friday, July 24, 2009

Quote of the Day: Andrew Gide

“The greatest intelligence is precisely the one that suffers most from its own limitations.”

Sometimes I like to think I know a lot but then something comes along that shows me how little I truly know and can never know. And you know what? I'm glad.

I'll give you two quick examples.

About seven months ago, I was standing in a kitchen at a party talking to some friends about my upcoming trip to Europe and how this summer was as good a time as any to take one since the chances of being tied down with some chick were slim to none. A lot has changed since then. The Europe summer vacation has now become an autumn honeymoon. I also doubt I'll be staying at my friend Heath's house in London because that just sounds awkward for all involved.

Once upon a time, I told a friend of mine that I was going to eat at the Metropolitan Grill the night I got engaged because that was the only way I could justify such extravagant cost. I was so far from dating anyone that my plan was hypothetical at best and delusional at worst.

The best part of this story is the name of the friend I was talking to in both these instances. Can you guess? Well, if you guessed Stacey you were right. Yes, the Stacey of engagement fame.


PS
It was almost worth getting engaged simply for the free creme brele at the Met. Such a dessert can only be described as sinful. It didn't even matter that the surprise was ruined because of my big mouth.

2 comments:

  1. She is "the Stacey of engagement fame." I love the ring and am so glad you found her!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So happy for you about the engagement, Collin. And a honeymoon in Europe sounds fabulous! That will be so much fun.

    The chocolate lava cake at the Met is my favorite. I've been there several times just for dessert, and it never disappoints.

    ReplyDelete