Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Quote of the Day: Ralph Waldo Emerson

"Foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of small minds. "

Yesterday. I realized with a more than little bit of pride that I must have one of the most confusing marketing profiles in the world thanks to my omnivorous consumption and reading habits when I came home and found three quite incongruous pieces of mail. I received a solicitation from the New York Times, one from the NRA, and one the from The Dominican Friars Association.

I'm sure the New York times wants me because I subscribe to the premier mainstream left-of-center magazine in the country, The New Republic (http://www.tnr.com/), and the NRA wants a piece of my action because I subscribe to it's conservative counterpart, National Review http://www.nationalreview.com/) as well, but I have no idea why the Friars targeted me.

I'm not exactly sure what they wanted because I was too lazy to read it but I'm pretty sure it involved forsaking the world and all my goodly possessions and becoming a monk which I do have to admit doesn't sound like that bad of a life on the surface. Having time to do nothing but read all day is pretty much my life-long dream. Also, the robes look quite comfortable. They'd be like sweatpants, only acceptable to wear in public. I have my doubts though about the benefits making up of for the life-long celibacy.

No comments:

Post a Comment