Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Quote of the Day: The Clash

"I fought the law and the law one." Yeah, I know The Clash aren't the original artists but I like their version best anyway.


My personal goal this week is to stop getting tickets. This might sound like a very easy goal to accomplish when you consider that I managed to go twelve years without getting one until last Monday; but since that time I've gotten three citations which I think is a nice symbolic number to stop at. I think the $300 I've donated to help offset the City of Seattle budget shortfall will have to suffice.

Has this ever happened to you? You drift apart from a once-loved significant other, they go on to do awful things after you break up that makes you wonder why you even liked them in the first place, but then you see that person again and all the memories and old feelings come flooding back making you feel like an idiot for ever leaving them in the first place? That describes my relationship with the band Soundgarden. They were one of the bands that got my through my awkward teen years but it's been about three or four years since I actually sat down and gave them my undivided attention. Well, today I listened to Superunknown and I have to say it was darn good. It's like we'd never been apart. It almost makes forgive Chris Cornell for his abominable foray into hip-hop, the operative word being "almost." If I could summarize what I learned today it would be that a guy needs to rock out even during his awkward adult years and that nineties alternative rock will always have a special place in my heart that all the indie bands in the world can't fill so they shouldn't even try.


I am in the middle of conducting a new fling right now. I've started listening to the band Pinback and I'm really enjoying them. I wonder why it's taken me so long to discover them. I think it's going to be much more than a one-night stand.

1 comment:

  1. A Pinback concert was one of Solveig and I's first dates. I hadn't really heard them before then, but they were great live.

    I had the same Soundgarden experience a while back myself. That album still rocks. Though, I am nowhere even close to forgiving Chris Cornell for his latter-day sins.

    Here is a quote for you: "..is it in fact unfair to criticize a a formerly great artist for his latter day sins, is it better to burn out or fade away?" -Jack Black in High Fidelity

    ReplyDelete