Monday, July 27, 2009

Quote of the Day: Samuel Johnson

“How small, of all that human hearts endure,
That part which kings or laws can cause or cure!”



I should warn you that by reading this blog you are putting yourself in the presence of greatness so please be respectful. You are reading the words of the man that single-handedly saved The Capital Hill Block Party and Democracy in one fell swoop. I attended the music festival Saturday with the attention of seeing such bands as The Pains of Being Pure At Heart, Pela, The Thermals, Moondoggies, and Sonic Youth and had no idea I'd come home a hero. Pela and Sonic Youth were my favorite even if the crowd at Sonic Youth was a little unruly for my taste. I must be getting old because I don't find pseudo-moshing all that much fun of an activity any more.

My crowning moment came right before the second to the last act. I was trying to make my way closer to the stage so I could be up close and personal for the last act which happened to be Sonic Youth a band I love when I saw a conservatively dressed older gentlemen with a dorky hat making his way to the stage right behind. He told me he needed my help so together we fought the tide of sweaty bodies and inched our way closer to the stage. Finally we came to the final wall of humanity and could go no further. I pushed, cajoled, and persuaded until a hole big enough for one man to travel through appeared and like a good Boy Scout I let the man go first. The entrance closed up and I never made it to the front. I didn't see the man again until he jumped onstage to introduce the militant lesbian rockers The Gossip. When he started ranting about how the Seattle City Council needed to support Seattle nightlife I knew who he was. It was incumbent City Councilman Nick Licata* stumping for votes. I know who he is but I didn't recognize him since I rarely see pictures because I get most of my news from written sources. I don't want to abuse the phrase "Unsung American Hero" but I think it may apply to me because I sacrificed myself so a politician could give his pandering speech at the appointed hour.


I went to a real barbershop today and someone there actually asked the question, "Can I drink beer while you cut my hair?" In case you are curious, the answer was no so I won't be going back.


*http://www.seattle.gov/council/licata/bios.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment