Thursday, April 2, 2009

Quote of the Day: Cyrill Connolly

"A life based on reason will always require to be balanced by an occasional bout of violent and irrational emotion, for the instinctual drives must be satisfied."

Today as I was walking through the bus tunnel, I had the urge to run across the road simply because the reader board flashing above my head told me I was forbidden to do so for my own safety. Isn't human nature a funny thing? The more we are told not do something the more we want to do it. Let's face it, Eve probably would have eaten the apple even without the serpent's tempting.

That's why I have liked the Islamic theological term "haram" ever since I heard it. (Please correct me if I am using it wrong, by the way.) In Islam, there are different types of sin and haram is the worst kind. It means "forbidden" but I believe it also carries the connotation of something that is so enticing because it is so forbidden. I could be way off base; so if I am blame my Introduction to Monotheistic Religions professor at UW. Anyway, that was me in the bus tunnel today.

You'll be glad to know that I did not run across the road and die. Instead, I contented myself with walking on the yellow rubber strip next to the edge. None of the security guards said anything which was a bit of a disappointment.

It's a good thing I didn't die too because I would never have read these articles today. http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/28/opinion/28Tartakovsky.html?_r=1
http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg20127001.200-why-money-messes-with-your-mind.html?full=true&print=true

I am also buying a laptop this weekend - I think anyway- that I am quite excited about and death would have put a pretty big kink in those plans. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I should buy?

1 comment: