Friday, April 10, 2009

Quote of the Day: G.K. Chesterton

"'The men who really believe in themselves are all in lunatic asylums."



Have you ever heard of something called Impostor Syndrome? I learned about it a while ago and my life had never been the same since. If you're curious, fell free to visit one of my favorite blogs. http://nigeness.blogspot.com/2009/03/is-it-syndrome.html


You should really take the quiz ( http://impostorsyndrome.com/) because I bet you will be surprised to discover that you suffer from some variant of it. I think a lot of people feel like they are just muddling through most of the time, just like the great men and women of history did. At least I hope it's not just me, anyway. Honestly, too much of the time I feel like a 16-year-old illegally squatting in the body of a 30-year-old; like when someone tells me to turn my music down or do anything else that I don't want to.


I think society really needs to resist this current trend of medicalizing (Yes, I made that word up.) every form of human behavior we find slightly questionable or unpleasant. If you lack confidence, you may not necessarily need a therapist. You just need to do what I do every morning. I look in the mirror and tell myself that, "I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and - doggone it - people like me."


Speaking of not liking people, today my co-worker brought in a CD that contained the song "Muskrat Love" on it because he thought it would be fun to listen to on his speakers with no headphones. The only thing that saved my day from being ruined by that atrocity was the news that my whole team is getting a pretty big raise. I mean, we're talking double digits here. Not a bad way to end a very long week.


Now I need to get to work on my self-review. Man, I hate those things and I really question their effectiveness. It's hard when you are as perfect as I am and can't find any areas of improvement because that always tends to rub managers the wrong way.

No comments:

Post a Comment