Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Quote of the Day: Winston Churchill

“The only guide to man is his conscience; the only shield to his memory is the rectitude and sincerity of his actions. It is very imprudent to walk through life without this shield, because we are so often mocked by the failure of our hopes and the upsetting of our calculations; but with this shield, however the fates may play, we march always in the ranks of honor.”


Today a homeless man told me that he prays for me everyday and I think he meant it. It kind of made me feel bad because I'm pretty sure I've never prayed for him even once.


Have you ever learned something so shocking that it made you question all your fundamental assumptions about the world? Well, it happened to me today. I learned that Amazon sells used hand lotion. I have no idea why or even how the whole process works because I decided to go with a new bottle. Why, I ask you, why?


Here's an article that partially sums up my feelings about flagrant abuse of the exclamation point. http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2009/apr/29/exclamation-mark-punctuation


Also, I am not sure I've ever gotten an email kiss before. Maybe something is wrong with me. http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2007/jun/26/g2.onlinesupplement Actually, I'm glad I don't normally correspond with people who would do something so trite so casually. Maybe I'm just old-fashioned but I like my electronic kisses to mean something.

1 comment: