Thursday, April 23, 2009

Quote of the Day: George Bernard Shaw

"The problem with communication ... is the illusion that it has been accomplished."

I just realized that there are eleven channels of communication that keep me connected to the world outside my head. They include the voice component of my cell phone, text messaging, my yahoo email account, my gmail account, my work email, Facebook, my work phone, talking to people in public, talking to people in private, talking to people at my house, or talking to people at work. I'm not sure why but thinking about all those means of communication kind of blows my mind. I wonder how much of the communication taking place over them is meaningful. Probably a depressingly small amount. (No, this is not a hint that you need to call me more.)

Speaking of communication, I wrote a new sales script today that I'm pretty proud of. It includes the line, "Call me back or the puppy gets it."

I got an email today from a company called QuizRocket and the subject line was, "WHEN ARE YOU GOING TO DIE?" It may have been an invitation to take some kind of quiz but I'm only guessing because I was too scared to open it. Nothing like a little existential dread on a Thursday afternoon. (Come to think of it that would make a good title for a thick ponderous novel.)

It was "Take Your Kid to Work Day" at work today which is something I've never understood the point of it. Maybe it's to scare kids or remind them to enjoy their childhood while they can. I didn't say anything when they toured our area but in my mind I said the kind of things I would have said if life were a sitcom. You know, like, "Welcome to corporate America. Please leave your soul at the door." I am sad to admit the kids didn't seem all that impressed with what we do. I guess watching people make phone calls is not the non-stop thrill ride I pretend it is to impress chicks. They mostly just played with the football on my co-worker's desk. Kind of like he does all day.

No comments:

Post a Comment