Monday, April 27, 2009

Quote of the Day: Hector Berlioz

"Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils." I have no idea who this guy is but his quote is quite funny if a little on the dark side.


I went on a walk yesterday and saw three signs that vexed me because I couldn't comprehend their textual and sub-textual meanings.

The first one was a handmade sign that said "Found $$ Call 555-5555." Of course, it really didn't say 555-5555. So my question is did someone lose money or find it? Is someone being a good Samaritan or trying to get free money? Maybe they're hoping to lay a peremptory claim on all the money anyone in the Wedgewood area finds. I should note that this sign was stapled to every telephone pole within a five block radius.

I also saw a sign on a reader board outside of an official government-looking building that led to more questions than answers. It said, "Competitive Stroking M, W, F." There was not a pool in sight.

The other weird sign is one that's disturbed me for a while. There's a huge billboard with a words "Go Humans Go" written underneath a picture of the Quaker Oats guy who has a look on his face that can only be described as a leer. For some reason, it creeps me out. Big brother is not only watching but also ogling you.


So I saw the French thriller "Tell No One" recently. I really liked it even if it was so confusing that I am still not a hundred percent on a who killed whom. It doesn't really matter though because the point of the movie is to let the complexity wash over and intoxicate you like a fine wine.


I also read the book The Lazarus Project by Aleksandar Herman. It was on a lot of top ten lists last year including James Wood's (the critic not the actor) so I was expecting to be overwhelmed but I am sad to say that I was not. I wasn't really underwhelmed either. I was just whelmed with this immigration story of a Bosnian writer. It was a solid novel from a technical standpoint but I just didn't feel a spark so maybe it's my fault. Maybe the problem is that I just got done reading some Junot Diaz who writes more compellingly about the immigrant experience than anyone else could ever hope to. So don't even try. Luckily, I don't have to because I am as white, middle-class, and American as they come.

1 comment:

  1. I am sorry, but I am calling you out for plagiarism. That material about being whelmed definitely was taken from the dating tip of the week in Elder's Quorum by Lance whatever his last name was.

    ReplyDelete