Friday, April 3, 2009

Quote of the Day: Rainer Maria Rilke (Poem)

Archaic Torso of Apollo

We cannot know his legendary head
with eyes like ripening fruit. And yet his torso
is still suffused with brilliance from inside,
like a lamp, in which his gaze, now turned to low,

gleams in all its power. Otherwise
the curved breast could not dazzle you so, nor could
a smile run through the placid hips and thighs
to that dark center where procreation flared.

Otherwise this stone would seem defaced
beneath the translucent cascade of the shoulders
and would not glisten like a wild beast’s fur:

would not, from all the borders of itself,
burst like a star: for here there is no place
that does not see you. You must change your life.


I've thought a lot about changing my life this week and by "changing my life" I mean move somewhere the sun deems worthy of a visit more than once every couple months; but now that the sun is out I feel much better. This weather does make me feel like swearing sometimes. Like a lot and really bad swearing too.


Today, on the bus I saw a guy transporting his lunch in a portable fridge and it was so big that it took up two whole seats by itself. I wonder if he does that every day. I hope he doesn't ecause he kept hitting people with it as he got on and off the bus. I guess he's as opposed to warm, smashed-up homemade lunches as much as I am.


We'll head out for the weekend on a positive note. Balance has been restored to the universe because the owner is making my sandwiches again and I don't even have to say a word to her now. The thought has occured to me that I may be becoming a bit too predictable. Although in my defense, I must say that I only ate there twice this week.

1 comment:

  1. Yes, I knew the sandwich situation would work out for the best. If anything else goes wrong, you could just follow the lead of Mini-Fridge Man.

    ReplyDelete