Friday, April 17, 2009

Quote of the Day: W. Somerset Maugham

"Only a mediocre person is always at his best."


Speaking of being at their best, how about that forty-seven year-old Scottish virgin who can really sing? I have to admit it made my cynical heart grow a few sizes bigger so now it's only two sizes too small.


I heard a perplexing line in a rap/hip-hop song today. Some guy was trying to compliment some girl by telling her how good she looked by telling her she was shaped like a Coke bottle. What? That doesn't sound like a compliment to me. Maybe it's a race thing because I just don't understand it. Am I miss something here?


So there's this homeless guy I run into two or three times a week that I know well enough to say hi to. He's a very tall, elegantly dressed black man who even keeps his beard nicely trimmed. The only way I know he's homeless is because he's always out there digging through the trash cans and eating what he finds. He has a big smile on his face every time I see him, you know the kind of smile that only drugs or insanity can produce. Nobody can be that happy all the time without something being seriously wrong with them.

Today, he motioned for me to stop so I stopped and pulled my headphones out of my ears. He said, "I want to tell you something important."

"Yes?" I said cautiously.

"It looks like you've been losing lots of weight and I just want to tell you I'm very proud of you."

"Thanks."

"I mean it. You look damn good."

Homeless men really aren't my targeted demographic but I'll take the compliment anyway.


Guess what I have to do tomorrow on a Saturday? Prepare a PowerPoint presentation for Monday. I would have liked a little more notice but such is life. Being a grown-up is never as fun as you were lead to believe it was going to be.

1 comment:

  1. So here's a question for you...do you really have better stories than everyone else, or do you just write better? (Obviously you DO write better, but you always seem to have great things to write about, of which I am jealous).

    I loved Susan Boyle as well. And no idea about the coke bottle lyrics...sounds like a new low in music to me.

    ReplyDelete