Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Quote of the Day: Alain de Botton

"However, many contemporary writers are notably silent about a key area of our lives: our work. If a proverbial alien landed on earth and tried to figure out what human beings did with their time simply on the evidence of the literature sections of a typical bookstore, he or she would come away thinking that we devote ourselves almost exclusively to leading complex relationships, squabbling with our parents, and occasionally murdering people. What is too often missing is what we really get up to outside of catching up on sleep, which is going to work at the office, store, or factory."
http://www.boston.com/bostonglobe/ideas/articles/2009/05/31/its_time_for_an_ambitious_new_literature_of_the_workplace/


It's like he was reading my mind and stealing my book ideas. Luckily, no one has stolen the idea I have for a novel based on fictional Facebook status updates.



Speaking of work, this week I saw a window washing race right outside my window. You know those guys who hang off of tall buildings like mountain climbers repelling down a mountain? Anyway, I saw two of those guys having a race to see who could clean their row of windows fastest. They were quite impressive. They were both through and speedy. It was quite a sight to behold. You could just see the ropes shaking there like an excitable puppy as they dangled precariously over the city. Spiderman would have been impressed with the skillful manner in which they climbed up the building. I have no idea who won. Although, I suspect the third guy whose only job was to watch them race was the real winner because he didn't have to do any actual work.


I watched a TV show last night that helped me come to an important epiphany about myself. I think that I have now lived enough years on this planet to enjoy a good game of laser tag. It'll be just like paintball without the pain.

No comments:

Post a Comment