Thursday, June 18, 2009

Quote of the Day: Rainer Maria Rilke

"Love consists in this, that two solitudes protect and touch and greet each other."

I had an interesting day yesterday. I learned that my landlord is selling the house so I'm out on the street come July 31st. I was also attacked by a black crow (not the band) yesterday for some unfathomable reason on my way to the bus. It just dropped out of the sky, landed on my head, and then flew away abecause it found my head to be unproductive perching space. I should point out that I was completely and utterly innocently minding my own business. I've been studying my world mythology today and learned that crows can be omens for both good and evil but that they always herald significant life-altering events; so either way, I'm in for some interesting times.

On the plus side, I learned that more people read my blog than I thought and I have to say that I'm flattered at the caliber of readers I have.



Well, it happened again. Somebody else tried to stop my consumption of water. Yesterday, the Office Coordinator sent out an email saying that our company would no longer be providing a water cooler in an attempt to go even greener. Apparently, enough people were outraged by this defilement of a venerated corporate institution that the Green Committee reversed course after some bureaucratic double-speak ("We are delaying implementation until further study.") and outright lies ("We learned the process was not as destructive as we first thought). I like to think the straw that broke the camel's back was my helpful pointing out of the fact that they were now contributing to an "unwell environment" by providing free sugary pop but no water. They even wanted us all to sign a pledge saying that we promised to no longer buy bottled water and that if we did they could take away our first-born child. Of course, I refused to sign out of solitary with my fellow first-born children and because I'm just not much of a pledge guy. I also have my doubts that symbolic acts like these do anything productive beyond making people feel good about themselves for a few minutes. Not that feeling good should ever be discounted as a goal, but other things like the human malady of thirst need to be taken into account as well.



I want to go to there if the crows don't get me first. http://curiousexpeditions.org/?p=78

1 comment:

  1. If the store downstairs would stop over charging for a water bottle, maybe you wouldn't have the need to buy bottled water. :)

    ReplyDelete