Thursday, June 11, 2009

Quote of the Day: Thomas Carlyle

“Permanence, perseverance and persistence in spite of all obstacles, discouragement, and impossibilities: It is this, that in all things distinguishes the strong soul from the weak.”

How's this for a strong soul? I stayed on hold waiting for a prospect to get back on the line for over an hour so I could schedule an on-site meeting. What can I say? It's a good account and I've been trying to get in there for over nine months. It wasn't so bad. I just surfed the web and caught up on all my literary blogs. Finally, after an hour of waiting for him to come back, I shot him an email that asked if he remembered I was still on the line. All he wrote back was, "The 24th works for me." An apology would have been nice but an appointment's even better. I wonder if he thinks I'm incredibly persistent or vaguely creepy. I've learned that the line between the two is so fine sometimes that you don't even recognize it time until you've obliterated it.


The Runner-Up quote of the day comes from a co-worker. When asked why he didn't want to got to restaurant X for lunch, he said, "They serve hummus there. It's just weird." All I could say was, "Wow." I don't know what is wrong with some people. I love hummus. If it were socially permissible, I would bathe in it every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment